Director of Marketing and Communications
As the Marketing and Communications Director at The Sheldon, you will play a vital role in shaping our public image and ensuring our financial success. You will lead a dedicated team responsible for crafting compelling marketing campaigns, managing brand identity, supervising box office operations, driving ticket sales and other revenue streams. The Marketing and Communications Director is the person in charge of telling The Sheldon’s multifaceted story in a consistent and compelling manner.
As part of the senior management team, you will have an important role in making strategic, artistic and business decisions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strategic Marketing: Develop and execute comprehensive marketing strategies that align with The Sheldon’s mission and brand, showcase our diverse programming, and resonate with our target demographics.
- Team Leadership: Lead and mentor a full-time team that includes the Marketing Manager and Guest Relations Manager. Manage contractors including graphic designers, photographers and marketing firms, to ensure high-quality deliverables.
- Brand Management: Maintain and enhance The Sheldon’s brand identity, ensuring consistency across all marketing materials and communications. This includes working closely with the Development, Events and Programming Departments to ensure that all messages, materials, solicitations and announcements maintain The Sheldon’s brand identity and tell a unified story.
- Audience Engagement: Create and implement initiatives to engage with existing patrons and attract new audiences, utilizing email marketing, direct mail, media advertising, social media and other digital platforms.
- Supervision of Box Office Operations: Oversee box office operations, including staff management, pricing strategies, and ticket inventory management, to maximize ticket revenue.
- Marketing Venue Rentals: Develop and implement marketing strategies to promote and increase venue rentals for private events, conferences and other functions.
- Digital Marketing: Oversee the development of effective online marketing campaigns, including SEO, SEM, social media advertising and website optimization.
- Public Relations: Cultivate strong relationships with local and national media outlets, artists and community partners to secure valuable media coverage, partnerships and collaborations.
- Budget Management: Develop and manage the marketing budget, tracking expenses and ROI to ensure cost-effectiveness.
- Analytics and Reporting: Regularly analyze marketing performance metrics, provide reports to the executive team, and adjust strategies as needed to achieve objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field or comparable work experience
- Proven track record of at least 7 years in marketing and communications leadership roles, preferably in the arts and entertainment industry.
- Strong understanding of traditional and digital marketing channels, including social media and email marketing.
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills.
- Excellent design sense.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation abilities.
- Proficiency in marketing analytics and reporting tools.
- Creative thinker with the ability to develop innovative marketing campaigns.
- Passion for the performing arts and a deep understanding of the arts and culture landscape.
- Experience in box office management and ticketing operations is a plus.
- Experience in marketing venue rentals for events is a plus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 35-hour work week plus frequent nights and weekends. Competitive benefits package includes health insurance, retirement match and paid time off.
- Salary range: $70,000 – $89,000
The Sheldon is an equal opportunity employer. People of Color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and veterans are encouraged to apply.
For over one hundred years, The Sheldon has been dedicated to enriching the greater St. Louis region and beyond with a wide range of music, visual arts and educational programs of the highest quality, diversity and educational impact; and to the preservation and operation of the historic Sheldon Concert Hall and the adjoining Sheldon Art Galleries. Built in 1912, The Sheldon consists of a 700-seat concert hall, a 300-seat ballroom, a 500-seat banquet room and a 7,000 square foot art gallery. With a committed board, The Sheldon has positioned itself as a financially stable artistic gem in the heart of St. Louis’ Grand Center Arts District.